Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A journey

Spent the day yesterday with 5 middle school students - crazy you say? Na.... loved every minute of it. To watch 2 of my girls getting their hair done was priceless and I am so thankful for being a part of that. Being there to talk with my other girl through a tough place ... and to be there as a fatherly figure to a teenager who needs a figure in his life .... let me tell ya that nobody will invest in something if they don't get a good return right? You dont put your money into an investment that crashes or you lose money right? They are so worth my investment... my time, money, passion, heart and soul ...... because a 100 years from now ..... it just might make a difference.
It for sure has been a trying few weeks for me. With the news of my Aunt Sharon, my little brother hanging on with his family for a job and feeding his 3 kids, one of my close kids struggling with something that had her in a very different place in her life, an upcoming surgery for a close friend and dad losing his job and what do I need to do to step up for their daughter.... and far too many doctors appointments for me .... I am glad I am sleeping again. One thing that I can honestly say during all this and in this season of time is that God continues to be faithful. Looking back, sometimes don’t the richest times come right in the midst of our hardest times? That’s because God made us to live in community – to laugh, cry, hurt, and celebrate with each other, no matter what we’re going through… its times like these that we really just place the things we are struggling with at the feet of Jesus and seek Him like never before. Sometimes it lasts awhile, sometimes we need to be patient as God works things out .... and sometimes it even hurts.
If you could sum up in one word what it takes to be effective in ministry or what my life would say to someone, what would that word be? – Relentless – You must be a person who is relentless, always abounding in the work of the Lord. If you give up easily, there is no need for you to attempt to accomplish much for God. Relentless is a word to describe people who will not take no for an answer. They try things one way, and if that doesn’t work, then try it another way. But they don’t give up. Giving up puts us in a place to have regrets.
I have always been the type of person that grabs hold and runs with the ball. I don't look at myself so much as a leader but as an example. I am pretty hard on myself for sure... as I want to be the best example for those in who are in my life. Those who need direction, who need a fatherly figure, who need a friend or someone to talk to, to be the best husband, daddy and uncle ... or who need to see what life has in it by following Jesus. Yes it has its very serious moments for sure. There are days that its hard to smile for sure... Yes, its hard ... hardest thing I have ever done. There just never seems to be a break because people depend on you, lean on you, need you and at times... man I tell you - the shoulders are heavy. But by being relentless- that means I am bringing it. I am not quiting when the tough gets hard. I look around and see some folks unplugging from church, from friends who they have good relationships with for years backing out... students who are falling aside.... for sure my heart hurts in these places but staying on course...staying in focus is what its all about.
Without a valley in our lives loved ones.... there can be no mountain tops!
Even when in the valley we may be just steps away from climbing up the other side. I guess for the first time I have ventured out to a place in my life where I am really trusting in the Lord to provide... provide direction, provide opportunity, provide safety and provide the words ...while keeping my heart humble and in tune with His heart.
Grace is in every moment and in every breath.....
One of our most basic needs is to be understood by the inner circle of people with whom we walk.
I am thankful for those who are walking with me...adults, family members and my kids..... I dont have a rule book, dont have a play book but I have a directional book in the Bible. Love covers a multitude of sins and without love - we dont have anything. This journey is just beginning and standing on the sidelines watching is not what I am about. My life wont be lived with regrets. I know I am serving those around me with all I have. Even when I wonder sometimes... is all this worth it?
I am reminded that you are. YOU ARE WORTH IT!! I am reminded that following Jesus is WORTH IT!
I know where I have been and I am so excited to see where God is taking me. God didnt give up on us loved ones... don't give up on Him.
Pressing on ....... in the journey ahead.

Lonnie~

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

Surely we have lots to pray for. The Bible says to "Pray without ceasing" 1 Thess 5:17 so if by some funny reason we think we have no one to pray for, we should pray for ourselves for thinking that! Some of us carry the weight of the whole world on their shoulders, and that is the way you are. You have so much in you that you want to give the whole world the happiness you have found in God. That is the love of God in you. I remember one time we were visiting a nursing home many years ago and Uncle Buster said "I wish I could be like Jesus and just go down all these halls and hold out my hand and heal everyone here, they would all just get up and walk out". That is the love of God. I told you one time that you are just like your momma, you wear your heart on your shoulder when it comes to love and wanting to help others. That is NOT a bad thing. That is the LOVE of God in you.

Ironically, I'm writing this in the month of February which is called the "Love" month. Most people think that means romance. To those like us, it means that God was the greatest Love story ever told. He gave his only Son, imagine that, his only son in the flesh, to die on that cross a real death, meaning real blood and cruel pain, for us, that we could live in the flesh, and then live in the Spirit in our next world. FOR ETERNITY. When He rose from the grave and acended into Heaven, that is the REAL LOVE AND HOPE of the world. The real love and hope that so, so many people don't even want! Jesus carried the weight of the whole world on his shoulders too. He carried His love for us on his shoulders. He loved us that much. That is why when we show love and caring for others, as you do so strong Randy, that we are "Christlike". The Bible says "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Things have a way of working out. There is an unknown plan for our lives. Problems come and problems go. We will all have tribulation in this life, it is in the promise of the Lord that we overcome those things. The difference is in how we see these things. Do we fall apart and get angry? Do we get bitter and say why me? Do we envy those with good health and wealth with a frown on our faces? Or do we still Praise the Lord? I have chosen to praise the Lord! He is still the promise of my life, My Redeemer, My Joy, my greatest Love, the one I sing about from deep within my heart. He is the one that I cling too when the fear comes that I have a disease with no cure, He is the one that is soon coming in the air with the shout of a trumpet! "Look up our redemption draweth nigh"

That is what you summed up as "relentness" that is a good word for you. That word also represented Jesus when He came here to this world to acomplish the mission He was sent here for. And on the cross He said "It is finished". That is when our mission will be acomplished, we have to carry our cross daily and when our life is done, so will be our mission, then on to our reward in Heaven, to fall at the feet of Jesus, our Savior, where our loved ones will be waiting, and all the Saints of old, the ones we love to read about in the Bible.

They say we'll understand it all better when we get to Heaven. But I say when we get there it won't matter, we'll be too busy and happy to even remember our questions. And that will be forever and ever.

I thank God for you and your faith. It inspires me to shine on!


Love you,
Aunt Sharon