Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mid Week

I have to say that I would have swiped my credit card this morning to get a few more hours of sleep. After the last 3 days I am pretty much wiped out but I am in good spirits and when I focus on the Lord - He ALWAYS makes a way to get through things. So looking ahead the rest of the week because I am not looking back. We have our LOL - Middle/High school bible study tonight. I got a call from one of "MyKids" last night wanting to go so I will be picking her up. She also asked if we could spend some time together this coming Saturday so I think I can handle that - maybe over a breakfast and some gym time? Tomorrow, I was invited by one of "MyKids" to go to a movie. Imagine that, one of my dear kids asking me to a movie? That has me all pumped up because 1 - I didn't have to plan and invite and 2 - mom and dad are cool with it and that "trust" factor means more to me than anything. 3 - she really wants to go! I am really excited about this!! YCI Friday morning. Friday evening my family and I are going to our local high school to see our middle school kids in a play. Yes I know theatre ... fancy - but its all good. I would do anything for "MyKids". As of right now I only know of one thats actually in the play but looking forward to seeing many additional familiar faces. This brings me to Saturday - 2:00 - college basketball. Sold out - yes I said it - SOLD OUT BABY! That means almost 10,000 fans in one place and that alone just excites me and I am sure Kyle will have his green hair on and his face painted! It also has me thinking with so many people in one place about "The crowd". This crowd is not the same as participants. This is going to be a crowd - they will go home after the game and back to their lives. A few weeks back at NewSpring church at the Bi-Lo center - that was a crowd of participants. 18,000 people left there changed in some way and wanting to be a participant in Gods kingdom. The difference this Saturday as we leave the stadium - we always leave walking against the crowd because of where we park. Imagine the difficulty with me for a second walking against thousands of people going in the opposite direction. Its for sure slow going, you get some looks, people are sometimes rude because you are in their way instead of them being in your way and you are not the norm...... You are different. Our christian walk is pretty much the same way. We are walking against what society wants us to walk. We are going against the crowd. We stand out from the crowd and in the eyes of Jesus -that is a good thing.
I am reminded of 1 John 4:4-6
4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.
Why then do so many people follow along in the crowd? Why do you at school walk with the crowd knowing that you are called to be different and not just follow along? Why is it so hard to share your faith even with your close bff's? I'll tell you that its easier to walk with the crowd. Its less challenging and YOU FIT IN.
When you chose to walk differently than the rest of the world, the rest of your school class mates, your friends or coworkers at work, - people notice. It takes a LOT of courage to stand up for something that is not the most popular choice. As a follower of Jesus, you are called to be different and walk according to Gods standards even if that means walking against the crowd and in the opposite direction.
Though it is never easy, going against the way of the world always means staying close to the Lord. You are as close to God as you chose to be and sometimes that means not going with the flow and choosing the path less traveled.
You are never alone in your journey so chin up and walk like you own the place. Thats what I tell all mykids - walk with confidence and pride knowing you are part of Gods family. The crowd will move......

No comments: