Monday, February 22, 2010

Letting go....

So check this out, for the week starting last night after rock group till next Sunday after rock group - I was going to give up Facebook. Make a last post saying - I am giving up Facebook for the week and to focus that time on God instead - dont look for me on here until next Sunday. After a tough lesson last night on addictions and the things in our lives that master us .... we all decided to give up something for the week. I am amazed at some of the things that folks were willing to get rid of. My plans to lead the discussion and I was fully prepared, especially from the kids, to get some angry looks and hard feelings but God delivered and His message to free us from the things that keep us in bondage went over pretty well.
Some of the things that my rock group family is doing without this week. Facebook, Ipod music, peanut butter, sweets, tv time, meat, soda, brownies with the kids in the evenings, coffee.... and speaking of coffee..... I had already made up my mind that facebook was going to be my thing to give up this week. My rock group had another plan. See I am on there from time to time and for example 2 times last week a parent and a student got me on the chat and we talked for a good long time about things and I offered my best in terms of counseling them in the best way I knew how and pointing them to God in the process. So they wouldn't let me.... can you believe that? So instead - I had to give up my afternoon coffee. I am not sure what it is about that coffee in the afternoon - often times its not a full cup and it may be left over from the morning... which I put in the fridge as an ice coffee..... but I will be missing it for sure!
I can't wait to next Sunday - not so that I can have an afternoon coffee, well maybe a little, but more so for the stories that took place this week without what we gave up. Did it help bring you closer to God? How did you use this new perspective? It will be reason to celebrate for sure.
Hey gang.... love you all and so blessed to have you in my life and in my families life. Ya'll have our back and we have yours.... glad to be doing life together, challenging each other, loving each other, raising our kids together, and following Jesus together.
Proverbs 27:17 -As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

No comments: