Thursday, November 5, 2009

I care ~ You matter to me ~ ________.

2 very important things to say over and over to the people in your life. I care ~ You matter to me .... seems like I have been saying those words a lot lately and with everything I have... they come from my heart.
Today's song takes me to a place that has really shaken me the last few days or at least since I put together a song list and shared it with one of my close kids - it has been played a lot over the last few weeks. Last night while leaving the gym and a great workout to boot ... this song came on my Ipod and I just had to stop and get out. I had a moment to pause, thank God for what He is doing in my life, for my family, the people in my life who we are doing life with and for the young people and their families who I get to lead. I pray I am showing them Jesus as much as they are showing me Jesus.
May Jesus receive the glory for all that is on me and in my heart. Let His blessings flow as He leads and this song comes alive within each and every word.

The Motions - Matthew West
This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break, At least I'll be feeling something'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more daywithout Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,"What if I had given everything,instead of going through the motions?

What a powerful song for sure. I have noticed something unusual the last few weeks. The young people who are closest to me get to hear this allot and they don't need to ask any questions when I say these words, "I am proud of you", because I have already explained it to them in detail. They know without a doubt that I am proud of them. Our teens today at home ..... HOME ... get 1 positive remark for every 10 negative. At school they get 1 for every 8 negative so its even worse at home for them as far as building them up and leading them to a place of success. We as parents are often times on the sidelines when it comes to pointing out positive things and when they do something right or make a good decision. We are the first to jump in and swing when they don't and then we drag them through it in the process. No wonder our boys are afraid to make decisions for themselves. No wonder our young girls are paying attention to their friends, magazines and tv over what mom and dad have to say about their appearance and dress.
The last few times I have been together with our students I have told many that, "I am Proud of you". I get a weird look and then the comment of - "For what?" I have to say "just because"... just because they are in church, they are listening to Gods word and they for right now are engaged in something so much bigger than themselves. I am proud of them for that..... When we as leaders and positive role models make those kinds of comments to a young person it has amazing effects. When someone other than their parents make those kinds of comments and breath positive influence into them and takes a genuine interest in them - WOW - it speaks volumes. It breathes confidence... it builds a sense of belief in themselves and you can see it having an impact once they hear it a few times. I do my best to let them know "I am proud of them" and that by walking with them - I am not to judge them but to be there for them. I had a student recently tell me that they could tell me anything and feel ok with it. That is building trust with that student. That opens the floodgates to more conversations and if I am doing my part right and I have my heart and mind focused on Jesus during those conversations ... there is awesome stuff that takes place. Students who have a caring relationship with adults don't tend to fall through the cracks. They know they have someone cheering them on regardless if they mess up... cause they will. We are here to help them navigate the storms and keep them from sinking or getting lost at sea. I am not saying that I have not had my heart hurt even while taking these steps and investing so much in a relationship. Families move .... students go to different churches or whatever. But down the road somewhere.... some place ... they may look back and know at that season in their life - they had someone willing to invest in them, to be authentically available to them and it is something that will hopefully they remember that there was ownership in their faith. No matter where life takes them ... owning their faith will keep there life on the right paths and they have a safety net in place all in the hands of Jesus.
I will close with this -

I care, You matter to me, and I am proud of you. You know who you are.....
Lonnie~

"No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life
"What if I had given everything,instead of going through the motions?

No comments: