Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Decisions are sometimes difficult

Being 43 means we are supposed to make adult decisions. It means putting childish things aside and our life reflects the amount of faith we have. Does faith dictate that decision making skills we have today? I hope so because for me, its the bottom line in my life. Its the foundation in the choices I make even when those choices are tough ones. Do I trust my faith in Jesus enough to know that when I do have to make a decision in life - especially when it affects others - has that choice been prayed over, have you seeked Gods heart in it, and have I clearly heard from God in what He would want me to do?
This past week has been a tough week for me. I can't recall a tougher week since the week that my mom passed back in 2006. It was a week full of doubts, questions, seeking Gods will over my own, decisions knowing it would affect SO many other people, people that I love with all my heart and all the students and kids that I have grown to love over the past few years and who I have invested so much into. They are very much a major part in who I am today....
I am finally thankful and at peace with having made my decision. Many, especially some of my closest "kids" who cried last week when we talked through all this was smiling and crying tears of joy yesterday when I got to share the news with them. I am at peace and I slept last night even though I was on the couch because everyone is sick at the house ... I slept peacefully.
I remember doing a Rock Group study a few months ago from Luke 24. I would like to share that story here this morning. This is a story of 2 men, probably Jesus' disciples, walking home along the road coming from the place where Jesus was just killed.
Luke 24: 13
Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem. 14They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16but they were kept from recognizing him.
17He asked them, "What are you discussing together as you walk along?"
They stood still, their faces downcast. 18One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, "Are you only a visitor to Jerusalem and do not know the things that have happened there in these days?"
19"What things?" he asked.
"About Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. 22In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning 23but didn't find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but him they did not see."
25He said to them, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26Did not the Christ[
b] have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?" 27And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
28As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus acted as if he were going farther. 29But they urged him strongly, "Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over." So he went in to stay with them.
30When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"
33They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34and saying, "It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon." 35Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.


I just love this story. 2 men rejected in all their hopes and dreams. All their lives they have heard about their savior and king that would come and rescue their people. Its like a bedtime story that you just love when you are a kid when mommy or daddy lays with you in bed before bedtime. Its stories that you just hold close to your heart and after years of them growing up with these stories had it right in front of them. It was personal and it was true. But then it all crashed and all hope and dreams went with it. So many of us live our lives in this fashion. We have struggles and difficult things we face. We focus on the problems and in a lot of cases - we become those struggles. It defines us. Just as these 2 men walking along the road with all hopes and dreams shattered - Jesus appears to them and they don't recognize him. He encourages them and gives them hope once again. When they finally realize it - he is gone but they are left changed. They are left knowing the fact that Jesus is with them always - every step of the way.
I have to say that nowhere in my walk last week did I not feel the presence of Jesus. No matter how much I struggled or how hard it weighed me down ...I felt Jesus the entire time. The decision was made and I know without a doubt I have made the right decision but also not my will in it - but Gods will.
If you are struggling today with something. Students if you are having issues in school with friends, bad influences, teachers or issues at home..... know that God is with you. He is walking along side and like these 2 men - there is someone you can lean on to help carry your burdens. Never let the devil have a foothold in your thinking .... he will get you alone and that is where the most damage and deception is done. Grab a good trusted friend, grab a leader at your church or someone else that you have a good trusted relationship with and get them involved.
Jesus is in your walk. He is along the side of the road right with you in your walk. Let Him carry you for a little while - if you ask Him for a mile ... He will give you 2.

Lord thank You for this day. Thank You for your loving hands and your patience with me the last week. I especially thank You for the people, the families and especially "MyKids" who prayed for me, who lifted me and my family in prayer and in comfort and especially for the encouragement that no matter what - they had my back and would walk with me - would walk with my family because that is what we are ... family. Lord thank You for my church who has given me the foundation to my faith by teaching me about You. Thank You Lord Jesus for being our heavenly Father who knows what is best in all things and for loving us the way You do. May we honor You and bring You glory in all we do. I pray for the person who is struggling with something today. I pray You walk along side of them Lord and reveal yourself to them in a new and exciting way. I pray for those around them Lord in their life who would help pick up their burdens and carry the cross for them. Help us not be alone in our struggles. I pray all this in your sons mighty name in Jesus,
Amen

No comments: