Monday, November 16, 2009

A difference~

What a difference a week makes. Was totally pumped to be at church yesterday. Pastor Jimmy preached an awesome message and in with the students - Pastor Travis delivered a great message as well. I got to open with announcements and pray for all of us before Travis took the stage but I also did something we had not done in over a year and that was pass out a bucket of candy which was a big hit with the students. I also got approval from one of our first time students yesterday to be my go to guy to pass the candy out. He personally got to say hello to everyone in the room - all 44 students. I asked him afterwards if that was ok - he said "yeah man! Can I do that next week also?" I have a feeling he may be back :) - I also had 2 of "MyKids" tell me yesterday I did a good job and that means a lot to me. Rock Group last night was also a strong message which I will share at another time but as I think about that from yesterday, I can't help but to think about all the people in my life that I would call - closer than a brother. This also means ladies too - so I will change it a little. They are closer than a brother and sister. This doesn't mean that I am not close to my brothers, I have 2 of them, one older and one younger - do I wish I was closer to them? Yes absolutely. Do I love them? Yes absolutely. I am just saying.....
I posted a question a few days ago on my FaceBook page that has really led me to a few great conversations, not only with a few of "MyKids" but also some of our students. The question I posted was - "Is it better to pick your friends or is it better to have your friends pick you?"
There have been some key points talked about for both sides of the question for sure but I will let you answer that question for yourself but I do really want to share what a friend is. The Bible has a few things to say about friendship.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 19:4Wealth brings many friends, but a poor man's friend deserts him.
Proverbs 19:7 A poor man is shunned by all his relatives— how much more do his friends avoid him! Though he pursues them with pleading, they are nowhere to be found.
John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command.
John 15:15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
The bible is packed with examples of friendship. Jesus picked his 12 friends that He poured into. He did life with them. He took them places. They ate together. They traveled and stayed in hotels together. Well not really hotels, but places to rest, usually in the homes of friends. They went boating together. Climbed mountains together. They went to church together... they also got kicked out of places together. They shared together and shared their families together. See the big thing here is relationships. I am blessed to be doing life with some awesome families. I am blessed to be close enough to some very special to me students who I love like my own children. They breath into me and I breath into them.
I have to say that the only reason why I have so many awesome people in my life is because of the relationship I have with Jesus. It all starts with Him. If I was only calling myself a Christian or if I never knew Jesus at all - I would never be in a place to have gotten to know these wonderful people in the first place. I would never be allowed to be this close or my walls would be never to let them in. My focus would have been all about me and what my needs were and always wanting something from them. We become who we hang out with. So chances are the friends I would be hanging out with would be just like me. They would always be wanting something from me and their focus would always be on them. These things make for terrible friendships.... and ones that no matter how hard you try or what you do.. it will never be enough.
A true friend puts their needs aside and attends to your needs. A true friend comes to your side when things are falling down.
Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. This paints a wonderful picture of what a friend really is. It means that when a friend is down - we get in the game. We are born to help and get involved. Its easy to have friends when everything is going well. Money rolling in, face with smiles out front of everything but when things start to struggle. Its your true friends that stick to your side.... ready to do whatever it is to do battle with you. I learned this a few weeks back with a very difficult decision. There is nothing more powerful than a friend reaching out in hugs, offering a shoulder, lifting prayers, and saying - I am with you where ever you go. "MyKids" are no exception there.... those words mean so much to me. What a difference a "Friend" makes in our lives. I bet you could use a few of these in our lives can't we? Build that relationship with Jesus - Start there and they will come.
In Christ,
Lonnie

Lord I thank You for your friendship. You are always there as our example in a BFF. In a day where we are all looking for instant gratification and comfort with dating someone or being seen with someone - help us to know You more personally Lord. Help us know who we really are and what You see us as. Our perfect father and our best friend. One that never changes and is always there to listen and guide us in the ways that are true and good. You have our best intentions at heart. When we can finally see, believe and live who we really are - then life will take on a new meaning. We will become different because we will know we are powerful and beautiful because that is what you created .... we are in Your image and You surely don't make junk Lord. Lord we thank You today and may we give ourselves a chance to see things and people with Your eyes Lord. Give us the strength to take a stand today - for You and show the world we are really yours. Help us understand the true meaning of friends Lord.
I pray all this in Your sons mighty and perfect name in Jesus.
Amen

No comments: