Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I think this is the last of the hot days here in NC. Sad in a way but also excited for the cooler temps and the fall that is my favorite season by far - even though that means saying so long to a short summer on the lake and on the boat this year. Busy June and busy July kept us from spending a good amount of time in our little piece of heaven place in the mountains. Looking forward to more time up there this fall and winter.

I am in Mark 1:29 today and in the Gospel of Mark he shares with us many examples of Jesus healing people. We are a sight believing people and if we can't see something, if we can't see the miracle or the benefits to something then we have a hard time wrapping our minds and hearts around it. So here Jesus is doing what he came to do in part. Heal people ....
Mark 1:29- As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and JOhn to the home of Simon and Andrew. Simon's mother in law was in bed with a fever, and they immediately told Jesus about her. So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them. That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon possessed. The whole town gatherred at the door, and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.

I think that is just incredible that Jesus kept the demons from speaking because they knew who he was. What do you think they would have said? I am sure they would have said something since Jesus shares with us that he did not let them speak. So all was quiet and with the demons not being able to tell the people there witnessing this miracle who he really was - that left them to decide for themselves. They had to come to faith and belief in their own terms and by not what someone or something else had said.
I think about the family today at the Center of Hope. A few times back while serving there I met this incredible family for 10 children. Mom needing some help with getting meals on from the serving line to the table and drinks for everyone and all the kids sitting and ready to eat. A huge task for even 1 child at times but 10? O M G! So I walked over and began to talk with the kids and we shared some smiles and I asked the mom what I could do to help. I got drinks, I got plates of food, I got Danielle who was with me to help me and she made a good connection with the kids as well and together we served this family in such a special way. This past Sunday was again special in its own way. The kids remembering me, came running over with big smiles and hugs. No reservations about anything other than the fact that this person (me) loves them without conditions. I sat down after serving the meal with this family - there at the table was mom, a son and 3 little daughter all probably under 9. We laughed and the one little girl said, I cant wait to grow up. I want to graduate and go to college. I want to get out of here. I told her that she didnt need to rush things and to enjoy being a kid - laugh and enjoy - but really in a place like a homeless shelter I wonder how much there really is in terms laughs and enjoyment. My heart broke right then. My prayer will continue to be to serve them, to love them, to pray for them and to one day hopefully at some point to go and pick them up for church and bring them so that they can feel the love of Christ through the body of believers who want nothing more than to love on them, show them Jesus and to serve them in anyway possible. That is such a huge step but why not be bold in that step? Why not have the boldness to really reach far for Christ?
The entire town gathered as they watched Jesus heal people. I am praying as a town of believers we will be in "Awe" as Jesus gets a hold of this family. I can see the tears now, I can see the smiles now - I can see the steps forward to a better life now with a new direction and a family unit.

Something I am learning along my journey from a book "Radical Together" - The Bible is not in a church leaders hands so he or she can give people answers to every question they have and guidance for every situation they face. Instead, the Bible is in a church leader's hands to transform people into the image of Christ and to get people in touch with the Holy Spirit of God, who will not only give them counsel for every situation they face but will also walk with them through those situations. And when church leaders use Gods word for this purpose, members develop a healthy dependence on GOds spirit and a healthy admiration of Gods glory.

The people we lead in church, in our community and in our life will never be what they cannot see. We have to show them.
As I left the Center of Hope Sunday one child had on my glove that I served food with, another had another one of my gloves, yet another had my bib on that kept my clothes clean from spills and stuff and yet another had my hand and walked me out to say see you again soon and can you bring me a "Green Tea and one of those necklaces you have on?" -
I think I can do that... better yet - Yes, I am willing.
If the demons know who Jesus is, shouldn't we?

Lonnie~

No comments: