Tuesday, September 27, 2011













Any guess to what that is? I love the picture of my friend Kristyn, who got her chicken foot soup and got a place at the table and smelled, looked over, and thought about what was about to happen. Chicken foot soup - taste like chicken soup but with real chicken... We shared a great laugh after I took this picture and as folks got their bowls of soup and headed to the table to sit and eat... almost everyone had that look on their face. Do I dare eat this? Will this be good? I can't believe I am eating a chicken foot!! The amazing thing was, it was actually great! I ate one foot, though with bones and and not much meat - the soup was amazing. Adding some homemade Jamaica bread to the soup was for sure, very yummy.

Coming across these pictures today has me thinking on a few things. Often times things are not exactly what they appear. People are not exactly what they appear and very few people, very few things are really - the real deal.


Think about Easy Cheese - you know the cheese in a can which is delightful on crackers and is essential really to the human existence! Its kinda cheese and with Ritz crackers - gosh you have a yummy meal from a can. But looking a little closer - its not really cheese at all. Somewhere along the way, Easy Cheese became a processed, synthetic and chemically evolved substance but hey its "MADE with Cheese."

So lets see- Milk, water, whey protein concentrate, canola oil, milk protein concentrate, sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid, sodium alginate, apocarotenal, annatto, cheese culter and enzymes.

Its KINDA cheese.... the Chicken foot soup - without question - it was chicken foot soup. Just ask Kristyn!!


I am so blessed today thinking about this "Real deal" because God is putting some folks in my life that today, they find themselves in a very different place than awhile back. They have walked, grown, matured and are fired up for the things of Christ that you just cant keep them quiet about it. Just last week going into the gym for a quick time framed workout, I ran into one of my "Real Deal" buddies and we missed the workout because we were talking faith, faith journey, the paths that God has us on today and I am telling you - we could have led a revival right there in the gym! I got a call from another "Real Deal" buddy today and we spoke for about 1/2 hour and gosh I was so pumped up after our conversation! God knows I need these people in my life today. He knows there is a bigger purpose for them speaking into my life and me into theirs. There is no kinda cheese materials here...these folks are fired up for the things of God and they are letting it known!

I am excited to see where this journey together is going to go, what it will grow to and the bond that is going to take place together. Perfect timing for all of us in our faith journey.


Pastor Steven challenged us to read Hebrews 12 together as a church and let Gods Word speak into our lives through this chapter. He is really praying hard that a turning point for each of us, from the "Kinda Christian" to the "Real Deal Christian."

Hebrews 12:14 shares with us: Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.


Isnt that what we are supposed to be doing? Doing our part to live in peace with others, to follow Christ in the best way we know how to so that others will see the Lord? No faking it, being that same person no matter if people are looking or not... you becoming the "Real Deal" for Jesus. Following him no matter the cost...James 4: again shares with us a little deeper in getting serious in our faith.

James 4:4-10 You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you supposed God doesnt care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. Its common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble. So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; its the only way you'll get on your feet.


My faith journey over the last few years is an amazing one. I could share stories and stories of what God did in and through me. The hearts and lives I have touched over the years. The students who have a place in heaven because I put down my fear, my agenda, my selfishness and stood for Christ. What a honor that is to be able to speak into the lives of others. I cannot wait to hear the stories of the "Real Deal" with life change being at the center of their lives.

I am so thankful and blessed to know that the decision I made not only for myself, though that being hard but also knowing it was a decision that would affect many - that decision really hit home for me last night. I know I made the right decision. I know without a doubt - being there for one of my close kids who looks to me as a dad, called me hurting, without a dad voice in her life - we sat and talked through some things. I value that so much and if it meant a change in order to honor that "I Promise" to that family - I know I made the right decision and I know God is honoring that promise. "Family is forever" because its the "real deal".


I really am floating some today with all that is going on around me, the people God has placed in my life not only for me to invest in but also for a change, people to invest in me! Church has been amazing the last month as Elevation Church as we are celebrating all that God is doing. I could sit here and weep with all the amazing things taking place... the hearts that are walking with me, the smiles that are appearing on such beautiful faces, foundations being built around God, relationships restoring - no more pretend, no more masks, no more fake imitations.....


Chicken foot soup - the real deal. Jesus - the real deal.

No comments: