Friday, July 22, 2011

This will probably be my last post for a little more than a week. I dont know if I will have the time or the energy to write and share all that God is going to do next week. I will be sure to do that when I return though, I promise. I love Thirst Camp week.... its a mission trip in itself because we are away from home, focused on experiences and serving others for Christ. Its times to reflect, devote and energize our hearts once again. Its in such a way as it breathes new things into our soul and the opportunity for Christ to open our eyes and speak into our ears so that life change, a vision for our lives is revealed and purpose to come back home changed is in order. I know there will be some parents who wont know their kids when they return. Some though will come back just like they left because they are unwilling to let go, open the heart up to share the grief and struggles they have been carrying. Maybe its the fear to go to that place and let people in so they come yet another year and go home another year.
I am excited to be preaching the opening message on Monday night - our first full day at the beach. I dont know exactly what that will look like being on the beach, in the water, at the pool side - I have no idea but I am excited about it because I am so PUMPED about it.
I love these students and have invested so much energy, time, words of encouragement and really honestly just want the best for them in their lives by following Gods plan for them. Gosh if they could just really grab hold of that and run with it, be loud with it and not back down from it - there isnt anything they can't do for Christ. He will honor them and bless them in more ways than anyone could even imagine.
Having to do it again - as I get older and you know we all do that as we get older - I would have listened to my mom and went to church. I would love to have been part of a small group of friends who love Jesus and aren't afraid to show it and be different from the crowd. Leadership skills being shaped and molded because you are leading something that not everyone has but most people want.
I was on campus today at work and in line waiting for my food I noticed a young gal looking at me. She being around 13 maybe and thats not odd for campus in the summer with all kinds of camps here. SHe smiled and I smiled and she walked over and said - I know you from Hickory Ridge right? - I said, Hickory ridge middle school? She said yes, you my YCI pastor on Fridays there. I asked for her name - Peyton and we began to talk and she introduced me to her friends she has made this week at her camp. They were on a career camp and each day was a different career but they got to learn about those different things, hoping someday making a decision on one of them because they had their eyes opened to it.
Isnt thats what its all about? Experience to something better, something bigger, something dreamy - do they still use that word? - I hope so ....
But then doing something with that experience that changes your life. I enjoyed talking with them and asking questions and making some laughs... I told them it was nice to meet them and I said to Peyton I would see her in a few weeks at school and she said "Yes Sir".... "I look forward to that!"
Gosh that is amazing really and each day I ask God to reveal himself in my day, through whatever that looks like. Today it was through Peyton and in some small way in my heart, I know what I am doing, the tears shed, the hurts, the good smiles and laughs and everything invested inbetween is paying off...and not for my glory but for Gods glory.
Camp this week will be about Gods glory as we are reminded to stop, slow down, sit awhile with our heavenly Father and just be in AWE of Him at the beach. Lets put God in focus again and let us all be encouraged and redirect our aim in life.

I cant wait to tell the students how much I believe in them and they are not too young to accomplish great things and big things for God. We are to serve him until our last breath leaves our bodies. I'm 45 years old, hanging with middle school students, high school students not because I can relate to them, even though I do sometimes and sometimes its really weird and awkward but because I honestly feel that I can bridge my generation to theirs. I can't sit on the sidelines and let their generation go to hell and have Lady Gaga or Lil' Wayne be the life voice in their lives. I want to stand on a chair, scream from the building, take them to the beach, ride the rides at Carowinds, hit the mall together - whatever I have to do to meet them on their turf ...I will do for the name of Jesus. Show them Jesus and let them see the VISION he has for their lives. I want so badly for them to catch that, to stick it out and live that life that GOd has called each of them. Let them be contagious and together continue to show Christ to those who need him - in their schools, in their neighborhoods, on Facebook and even in their own families.

I am excited for the week ahead. I sad Carol wont be there with me as so many young ladies look up to her and need her but without vacation time it makes it tough. I will be missing some of the students from years past and I am thankful for the chance to invest in them over the years and I am also excited as anything for our rising 6 grade class. Its going to be an amazing week for them, for our first timers and hopefully, if hearts are right, if they are soft and willing to let the guard down and be poured into - our veteran Thirst Camp students just might be the ones to propel this generation and have the courage to stand up and make a stand for Jesus.

That is my prayer .... my hope and vision. 2 more days....... Thank you Lord for this opportunity. May everything we do, everything we say, be an honor to you. For your higher glory and purposes. Amen

~ Tomorrow we are serving a family at church who was killed last week in a motorcycle accident. Expecting 700+ people there from 11-2 - many for the first time hearing about Jesus, some not having step in foot of a church in 30 years.... tomorrow GOd will be shown as we serve them and love them the way Christ would want us to. Even through the passing of one - many may be opened to the heart of Christ. I think years from now, we will be thankful for this story and how its all part of a bigger story ...Gods perfect story.

Peace out,
Lonnie

No comments: