Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Press through the pain. Nobody likes discomfort or a season of time where things are sour or just plain hard. I have hearing the words at the dentist or at the doctors office about to have some procedure done and the dentist or doctors says, "You will have some discomfort" - that really means its going to hurt!
Being a parent at times is painful. From the moment your son or daughter is born, they depend on you. That never changes throughout your life even though it may look different at different times of your life as well as theirs. These middle school years are especially hard as Kyle is venturing out more and establishing himself and his place in the world. I feel that same way with my daughters in my life and not being their "real" dad - its hard sometimes to know where the line is. It changes all the time within the bounderies and I struggle with that - just finding a way to fit in and still be useful I guess or needed. Its also hard because they dont have a great daddy example and sometimes that leads to seasons of time where we are not in sync with one another and thats okay because we talk through them. I love that about them because we know we have each others back and if there is a problem we dont throw in the towel or give up. We work on them. I was told just in the last few days, - Family sticks together no matter what. Its for sure a God thing this family ...
I know with Kyle its about showing him how to be a man, to love his mother as one day he will need that example to love, care and lead his own wife and family. As I seek God in those things its so apparent that you have to be at a humble place in order to move through this season. Having wisdom is something that God promises to give us if we ask for it. Proverbs is written just for that purpose. This important book offers amazingly rich and wise words to relush rather than to simple read. I find it better to linger over a single proverb and really understand its meaning than to just sit and read an entire chapter. Its even better if we can excersize that proverb into our lives and put it into practice. These proverbs point us towards wise decision in life and who doesn't want that? I mean we don't go out and try to make poor choices do we? This is timeless wisdom for everyone no matter where you find yourself today.
Proverbs 4:20-27
My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a mans whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

This is in reference to me speaking into the lives of those around me, my son, my daughters, those who I am leading - but its also our heavenly Father speaking to them and to me. I am listening closely to what you are saying Lord. When your heart is in something - its special. It lasts. It means something. Guarding it can sometimes mean putting it into a protective shell where nothing will penetrate it- that is such a sad place to be. I am that person who wears his heart on his sleeve and life does mean so much. The people in my life mean so much. Following Jesus means so much. When those seasons come where your heart gets hurt, it aches a little - thats when we turn to Christ even more because He is the wellspring of life. He can restore the heart and thus heal the entire body.
If you are in a place today, if you find yourself mostly grump central or just not happy even when you should be - seek some wisdom from our Heavenly Father.
Proverbs 3:6 - In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Lord we acknowledge you today and we ask that you be in the details of everything in our lives. You know the level of heart pain that each of us has and I ask that you take that pain from each of us. Hold it in your hands Lord and mend those good things from you back into us. Help us soak in your every word as we seek wisdom and your face in all we do. For you are the wellspring to our lives because you make us complete. May our hearts be in this with you, may they be in tune with our children as we seek your wisdom in how to lead them, how to love them and gently correct their paths. May your wisdom be in all these decisions Lord as we make our paths in this life. We know you are there with us and we thank you for loving us enough to send your son Jesus for us. Help us continue on your paths Lord and not our own. Keep us straight, keep us hungry for you and help us love one another as you have given us a great example. I pray these things in Jesus name, Amennnnnnn

No comments: