Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year~

Want to wish everyone a very happy and healthy new years. With Carol still up in PA with Kate and Bob, I got to spend a quiet new years with some of our rock group families. It was a nice surprise invite and enjoyed the time together. The kids and I stayed up all night and I am thankful for the smiles and invested time with Kyle, Morgan, Maddi and Brody. It was fun seeing the sun rise and the lazy day of new years spent mostly in our jamms.
I am praying that as the new year gets under way that the past year issues become full circle in your life. As you look at looking back and plan forward - I pray that God is a huge part of your life. If he has not been or if you are feeling as though God didnt get the respect and honor in your life last year that not only do you put Him ahead of some things this year - You make Him a part of everything you do. We all don't have to pastors or preachers from the stage on Sunday mornings. God has specific plans for your life to be the pastors in your workplace and in our schools or whatever it is that you do. Be that person that God has called you to be in that place and in your world. God wants to use you as a pastor while you coach that basketball team, while teaching in the classrooms, while helping that lady in 325 in the hospital and minister to that family. God wants to use you today in amazing ways and I pray that this year not only is He a focus and priority in your life -You make him a part in everything you do. Shine that light He has given you so that others in your world will be able to see his glory through you.

This year I am challenging myself to begin to dig to a deeper level in my walk with Christ. I am jumping into the Gospel of John and there are already a few things that stand out to me. First let me say that as this new year begins and my leading role in the student ministry is in flux as to what I will be doing at this point I do not know - I want to remain focused on a few things during this season of time. I want to remain focused on God as to his plans are bigger than mine and during this time, He may have something bigger in store for me than I have planned. I also want to reinvest my time and energy into the people that are closest to me. I want to reach a few others that have been heavy on my heart but I want to remain committed to those who I am doing life with. My rock group families - I am dedicating a deeper impact in our relationship as we walk with Christ together. I am also going to refocus a big part of my energy and attention to my schedule and pouring more into my wife and family. As a husband and father, I don't do everything right and fall short on so many things. I want to refocus so that my heart is aligned and in the direction we all need to go in as family.
So today I want to begin the Gospel of John in 3:19
Light has come into the world, but people loved the darkness instead of light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Most people today want to be a good person. They want to do well and succeed in life. Most people want to take credit and receive recognition for the things they do. All of us have a past and all of us have that sinful nature that is the dark part of our selves. Once accepting Christ and walking in Christ light - he is the recognition that we serve and for all we do - he is the one that receives the glory. Our light shines for Christ so that others may to see the light. We are not of this world loved ones and our words and actions should align with those of Gods and that alone should make us stand out to others as being different. Not different in some weird odd way but a way that brings peace, comfort and something so different that people want to know more.

John 3:27- John replied, " A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said, I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him. The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegrooms voice. That is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less."

I love how John puts the correct perspective into him becoming less and Christ being greater. So often we get caught up in our own worlds and we push aside God. Remaining focused and in correct perspective keeps us from doing that - even when things are great - we honor God in all we do by giving him the glory for our season of fruit. When things are bad and there seems to be no way out - honoring God in those trials brings our faith into a new level and deeper understanding that otherwise could not have been. Our situations may or may not change but our relationship with God will. As John was baptising and leading the way for Christ - John stepped back knowing his time and service was setting up Christ for bigger and more wonderful things. He knew his place and set the stage for Christ and for others who were following him.
Today, as I look around me and the people I have influence with - I ask the question, Am I setting up Christ for greater things in their lives because of what I am doing? I pray I am. I pray I am serving Christ and them well as I pour myself out and put the needs of them ahead of my own.
There is a song by Chris Rice - Life Means so Much that I want to share a few lines of lyrics with that I hope will be a setting place for you to begin a new more meaningful walk with Christ. As you connect with these words - Who in your life this year do you need to reach out to for Christ? Who's stage are you setting up in their life? Your own or the one who has a bigger more meaningful stage? I bet that person needs someone on their stage for all the world to see.

Chris Rice - Life Means So Much
Every Day is a journal page
Every man holds a quill and ink
And theres plenty of room for writing in
All we do is believe and think
So will you compose a curse
Or will today bring the blessing
Fill the page with rhyming verse
or some random sketching

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much
Life means so much

Every day is a gift you've been given
Make the most of the time every minute you're living

May this year be a banner year loved ones as you walk closer to God than ever before, you reach those around you for a bigger stage and life brings colors you have never seen before. Make the days count.......... Happy New Year.
Lonnie~

No comments: