Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hope yall are having a great day thus far. Raining and dreary here in the Carolina's but after speaking to my neice a few days ago in Tupper Lake NY and it being -38 degrees - hey I'll take this weather any day. That cold is just insane and maybe ok for a day or 2 if you go to it and be there ...key word being THERE. But you can have it. I do like some snow and some extreme things at times dont get me wrong but there is just something about living in a place that is that cold. Not for me, Carol freezes me out of the house, the car, where ever we are together!
Last night Carol and I had date night which has been on the plans now for a few weeks. We headed into south Charlotte - fancy side of town- and got something to eat. Gift card - free meal. After we went and seen the new movie premier - Soul Surfer - free tickets. So Free movie. I like that kind of date - Carol only cost me $6 and I would have got out of that if she just didn't HAVE to have the popcorn.
Anyways, I wanted to talk a little about the movie. Give you some of my thoughts on it. I love being on the Youth Pastor list to be invited and give feedback to these types of movies that seem to be gaining steam in Hollywood. The long arm of Sony has put this movie out - You can see the trailer here - http://www.soutsurferthemovie.com/ or the real life story at http://www.heartofasoulsurfer.com

This movie is about the life of Bethany Hamilton. She if you don't know, was the young up and rising surfing star from Hawaii who had her arm bitten off by a shark. Her faith being a solid foundation in her journey during her life, kept her moving and pressing forward during these hard and difficult times. With her surfing career over, so she thought, she searched for Gods purpose in her life. 13 years old and a surfing contract and money and fame ahead of her - The shark took that from her. Her question was to why does God let bad things happen?
With Dennis Quad, Helen Hunt, Carrie Underwood in the movie - Hollywood put some effort into making this movie prime time -much like Blind Side - even though I think this will be even a bigger movie. I am excited that more movies are coming out like this. Not so much as pushing church down non church faces during a movie but just a kind and gentle faith based and lean back on feel good type of movie. If you are part of a church background and walking with Jesus is a major part of your life -you can feel the faith and trust in the movie. Bethany and her family stuck together no matter what and even during those first days... they took things one day at a time and trusted God in each of those moments. The one part that really shook me was when the dad had made Bethany a modified surfboard after she had tried but given up on her dreams, Bethany finally came to her dad and said, "Dad, I need your help". Dad smiled and showed up big time in her situation, in her problem, in the solution and in her life.
I can so relate to that. Just today I had a close student, my daughter in many ways, call me and say. "Lonnie, I need your help with something, do you have time?" - That so does my heart good. YES I have TIME!! You make time for what is important and in doing so, you not only show that person you mean what you say... You do it.
Compassion can make us do amazing things.

All through the movie - Jeremiah 29:11 was mentioned. Even as her dreams were gone, life as she knew it in those moments were over. There was another stage and platform that God was setting Bethany up for. She didnt know it, couldn't see it just yet but even through a loss of an arm, even through the loss of what seemed SO important with surfing - God moved her to another place. Another experience. Another stepping stone to experience His love and compassion so that she can do that same thing for others. She inspired millions of others who have lost a limb to continue to live life and live life though a little different - to do life with passion and love. Christ is her message through her suffering and setbacks. The family never shook from their faith and God provided for them in all their needs.

Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Verse 12 is amazing as well and follows up verse 11 perfectly. That is for another time though but my perspective in Jeremiah not only in the movie but also in my own life - gives me courage and strength to follow and listen for Gods calling. Even though we may be down, things may be hard, things seem totally impossible from where we are. God may just be setting us up for greatness. The job you just lost may indeed be a point in your life that you have been set free and now can start a business, go back to school, venture into another line of work. That boyfriend that just broke up with you has given you freedom now to hang back out with your friends that you ditched because of his controling personality. Friends, We never know what might be over the next wave in life. I love that quote from the movie. We just never know what GOOD may be just beyond what we can see. Keep the faith, keep the vision and let God continue to pour into your heart. Dont lose heart loved ones, God is near.

A+ on the movie Sony - great job taking a good solid message to the public and a great movie to strengthen the family as a whole.

Bethany - You are inspiring and a hero to many. Keep shining .... and keep that compassionate heart blazing on fire for Gods people.

Lonnie~

No comments: