Thursday, March 28, 2013

It has been a busy week to say the least. A lot going on as we entered this incredible week between Palm Sunday and Easter. Its always a week I reflect a lot on not only personally but also outwardly. I reflect a lot on the ministry serving that I am doing and pray through those outreach things I am carrying. Are they making a difference in the lives of others? Am I effectively sharing the good news of Christ? Is there something I should stop doing and start doing something else? Is there someone I am investing in that isn't responding that I need to just give the space to? Is there someone else that I need to pour into? This is a great week to do those things because its all in the grace of Christ that we have this week in the first place.
Last night while serving at a local church in their student ministry, I spoke through Luke 19 and had a video after my message and I really felt like the spirit was working in them. I could see it in their eyes as they hung on every word spoken. I am truly blessed to be asked to have a lead in this student ministry, as one student messaged me last night and shared: Mr Lonnie you have such passion when you speak about Jesus. I love coming here because you make it fun to learn about Christ. Thank you!

I know I shouldn't put a huge amount of value in the affirmation of others but sometimes its what we need to keep moving forward, that you are in track, that what you are pouring into is making a difference in someones life. When a student asks you about baptism and what it means and then asks the Pastor when is the next baptism - thats crossing over right there. Thats something to get excited about! Gosh I cant type this fast enough while thinking about these conversations :)

I have been learning some things about "Joy" and "Happiness" lately. I have been really pressing myself to dig a little deeper in these 2 important things in life. I do believe there are some people that totally have about zero % of these things in their life for whatever reason. They are just made that way or they have learned it over the years. Maybe they dont know what its like at all to be full of joy or being happy. Maybe they rely totally on the actions and words of others to fulfill these qualities and I can imagine that it doesnt always work nor does it last very long.
As the wise men in the Bible came to see baby Jesus after the angel of the Lord spoke to them and shared - "Don't be afraid, I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people." That IS the gospel. JOY. Its central and its imperative. Its the Good News of Jesus. The announcement doesn't say to "some people" it says to "all people". Great joy! If you are a follower of Christ, there is no reason to walk around with your head down or a frown all the time on your face. One of the things I have been learning as I continue "MyWalk" with Christ is to talk less, listen more, and pray with others. I don't have to have all the answers, God has them, I just want to walk with you and pray with you.
People take themselves way to seriously and when that happens its like walking around with a grudge all the time. They fuss over their hair, their clothes, homes, friendships, spouses, school work jobs to just name a few. We have to be serious in life at times but not at the cost of taking the joy and happiness out of it. Happiness is always temporary and is usually a result of something or someone. Joy comes from the Lord. Its in our hearts and when God is fully behind out hearts, thats when the joy comes out.
We don't have to walk around with long faces and listing out all the things we are struggling with. Maybe today should be a day that we not pray for God to remove or be in our situations or difficulties but thank God for them. Ask God to change us instead of our problems so that we can rise over our problems. Our problems and our past do not define us, God does. Our paths ahead define us because God is in our definition as a person. We belong to Him. Nehemiah 8:10 "Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is our strength". That's the Good News!
You don't need a new mattress. You don't need to try harder. You don't need to exercise more or win the lottery or get that girl you have been chasing - Joy and strength come from the Lord.
Believe me, it has taken me a lifetime of learning, reflecting and praying to finally begin to understand this. I spend a lot of time with teenagers, you have really happy easy to get along with young people and then there are some that are as difficult as dealing with Shrek with hemorrhoids.
Happiness is an emotion and one that we can have complete control over because its a decision. Its easier for some than it is for others. I get that. But its still a choice. Accept the situation and make the most of it. Lean in and find out what God is trying to teach you through it.

As a parent, as many of us are, we can never base our happiness on our teenagers. Even stretching as far as the young people in your life if you are like me that has a host of young people surrounding you. If we base our happiness on them, we are doomed for failure. I admit its hard when others are struggling. We want to help. We want to talk things through. We want to be there for them. When they walk away or need some space, those are really some hurting times. We have all been there as teens begin pulling away from parents. Our teens are no different. They pull away from most adults as they learn to be an adult. Yes sometimes it doesn't make any sense nor is it easy to watch them wander in the wilderness making some bad choices, get caught off guard in some things that this life throws and just being naive enough not to know better. Some are more trusting than others, some more focused than others and some just a disaster waiting to happen. But thankfully God gives us and our young people the opportunity to struggle through life so that we might grow and mature. If we based our own happiness on how great things are with our teens - we would all wind up being some miserable people. Romans 12:12 "Base your happiness on your hope in Christ. When trials come endure them patiently; steadfastly maintain the habit of prayer".

I hope that this season of time, especially during this special week in the Christian faith, that you take some time to reflect and refocus and then renew. My family is especially excited for our church services to start tomorrow at 7pm. First of many worship experiences over the weekend at all our locations. We are then headed to the beach for a few days as Kyle is on spring break starting tomorrow going through all next week. Its time to focus as a family in what is ahead and also to have a little down time and some fun. I am excited for all the people who will come to church, some for the first time, some for the first time in a long time, and some regulars that need a fresh word from God. He is what truly matters in this life. In closing prayer last night, as I circled the students together for the first time in holding hands in a circle, I prayed over them and then spoke over them - that we were created by the dust of the earth as the Bible tells us in Genesis. We were not yet alive even though we had bodies. We were not alive until God breathed into us. His breath gives us life. I had all the students to take a deep breath. Think about the breath you just took, God gave you that. Without it you are dead. With it you are alive. Now go, breathing in the life that God gave you. Walk a life of worship in all you do. You have Gods breath giving you life.
I pray that for you today as well.
Have a great Easter holiday everyone. Remembering the Lord, Our God and all he has done for us. When we show God our faith, He will show us his faithfulness.
Lonnie~


No comments: