Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Things have been busy the last few weeks with lots of family stuff going on, church and serving in various places and last Saturday Carol and I and a handful of amazing you people served at JoyProm. This is a prom for those with special needs. Last year we got to serve for the first time and was overwhelmed at what we got to see first hand. This past weekend was no different, except being much bigger. Carol and I got to serve alongside some amazing young people who fully enjoyed themselves, serving, hugging, sharing smiles, helping out of limos, greeting, dancing, serving all night long. Our friends Sherry and Donnie lead the way in leadership, vision and passion for serving those in our community with special needs. We had one family come all the way from Indiana to be a part of this. So very honored to have the opportunity to serve. It really has such a huge impact on your life when you step far out of yourself to serve the needs of others.

We have a couple amazing things happening lately - Kyle for one cleared medically after his dislocated knee. He is clear to begin working out and running again. Carol and I are very thankful for this especially after not having to have surgery. There is a new church coming to our small hometown of Harrisburg and we are excited to have High Rock Church and Pastor Robbie and his core team opening this Easter. They are going to make a huge impact into our community for Jesus. Carol and I have met with Pastor Robbie over dinner to speak student ministry, outreach, tour of the building and we are very excited to have them in our community. I remember that building 17 years ago sitting there mostly empty the last 10 years and saying, God, that location would be a perfect location for a church. I have prayed many times over that idea and to see it actually happen now is very cool. We plan to visit them often and to partner with them in doing outreach in our community. Churches should partner together - its for the Kingdom and not for the safety of our congregations. I have always had an issue with how churches build walls and then protect their people from visiting another church or throwing them under the bus when they leave for whatever reasons. We have been given grace by God and we should extend that Grace to others. This leads me to my post today - Grace.

What is it? - Why do we have it? Why does God give it to us?
Grace is unearned favor. We didnt do anything to receive it or earn it. God extends his Grace to us and was obsessed with showing mercy to those who least deserved it. He was committed to showing grace to the worst of sinners and last time I checked and if totally being honest, that includes me. Sin is sin and only in our minds do we label which ones are worse than the others. We are all sinners and do wrong - we make unwise choices, we manage to screw things up, we repeat offenses time and time again - all the while promising to do better. Sometimes even begging God to help us do better. But then we dont. If my sins are not as bad as the other person - it separates us and in doing that it makes us feel better about ourselves because our sins are not as bad as their sins. Because comparing to them - we are doing pretty well. I think a lot of that mindset comes when we look at the homeless for example. Through the Opportunity House and serving a meal, message and worship to the homeless in our community now for the past year or so - I dont look at these folks differently anymore. I at times can see myself sitting at the table and being served a meal. Most of us are 1 or 2 decisions away from there anyways. God loves them just as much as he loves me and you. They are people. They have times of good and bad just like we do. They are less fortunate and their situations are difficult just like ours is. It just looks different and I can honestly say, that most of these folks are really amazing people. There are hugs, laughs and a love of Jesus in them that I dont get to see in others often times and even in myself at times. Problem with separating ourselves from sinners just puts a wall up to say - I dont have to deal with their pain. Jesus was not like that and neither should we. Jesus came for them. He came for the hopeless, the oppressed, the hurting, the struggling, the sinners! He pointed at the Pharisees because they have the rules of looking spiritual but they were dead on the inside. Our hearts should bleed with compassion and not be looking to justify our actions or how we treat others.
I have a long way to go to be able to relate to people like Jesus did. I admit that in my early walk with Christ I was learning so much, not that I am not now, it was just a little different then. I think today, my journey is less about telling people - especially the young people in my life, what to do and more about listening, sharing a hug and praying together.
We should never lose sight of the person (sinner) because of the sin. Jesus knew the sin of the people he ministered to because the person was more important.
Pharisees had the rules down pat. Man made rules keep us looking good on the outside but does nothing for the inside. As I think about my niece and the place and condition we got her in years ago - I have learned that rules only modify the outside, our behavior, but doesnt do anything on the inside.
Grace changes the heart. It helps us make better choices because its working on the inside.
There is a passage from Matthew that I will close with today. Its a perfect picture of Gods grace extended to us.
Matthew 6:6
“Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.
 
I am still learning, thankfully. A work in progress but today, as I learn more and more about this abundant Grace from our heavenly father - the more I want to share it with others. I have to have it in order to give it. I am thankful today that God touched my heart. Grace is the fuel of our faith. 
Grace IS Jesus.
 
Lonnie~

No comments: