Thursday, September 23, 2010

A note....

I was going through some of the things that I carry around each and every day in my computer bag and I came across my notebook that I received at NewSpring last week. I have notes all through it since it was such a great leadership conference and as I opened it to glance through to read something full of wisdom, a note fell out. A note that I had not noticed before but glad it fell out - who knows how long it would of been in there if it didn't just fall out.
On the front is a worship picture of a stage with a band playing and all in front as if I was sitting behind the camera taking the picture, are arms raised in worship and a bright stage light with different colors. In my mind I can hear the music playing, feel the thump in my chest of the base and the drums, I can hear the words being sang all in tune in perfect harmony.
The other side is a handwritten note with these words:
We have been so blessed to have you as our guest here at NewSpring church. It has been an honor to serve you today. May you leave here today mere confident in your calling, more challenged to love in obedience, and more in love with Jesus and his plan for your life. Usher, Michael.
I left his last name off but I think about all the people there that day that took time off from work, got babysitters, changed plans, to be there that day to serve me and the other 1000's of people there. It sure touches my heart knowing that this person took the time out of their life, shared the serving vision that God has given him and served who ever was in his reach.

I am in Luke 17 and this story reminds me of the Ten men that Jesus healed with Leprosy.
11 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, Jesus, Master, have pity on us. When he saw them, he said, Go and show yourselves to the priests. And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him and he was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner? Then he said to him, Rise and go, your faith has made you well.

Thank you Michael for your obedient serving of others last Thursday. Your hand written note means a lot to me. I wonder how many folks have actually taken a moment to tell Jesus thank you. Thank you for Michael serving the kingdom like he and so many others did last week. Serving someone doesn't have to be in some big bash, taking folks out to dinner, throwing them a party - it may be just a phone call to ask if they want to have a coffee, it may be a text message with encouragment all in it, it may be a stop by the office and sit and talk. The little things do matter and sometimes the little things make the difference. Michael may have just held open a door all day for the folks to come and go but he was part of a team that together had a lasting impact.
Last night I got the chance to go to one of our towns big churches. Morgan and I got a tour of that church, its buildings, its programs, classrooms and worship center. It has me excited for the building on our own ministry campus. But during the tour - there were times where I just felt as though this house of worship was just a series of buildings. I didn't connect with anyone, a few hello's and even the lead Pastor smiled and said visiting with us today? He didnt take a moment to shake my hand and say anything more. I know he is busy and all but how outwardly focused was he? He was talking and shaking hands with what appeared to be friends, probably long time members of the church - but here... I got through his grasp unfaised by much of anything. What once was a striving and growing church in a center of many thousands of people has turned into a building with folks holding on to what they have. WHat was ... is not what is now - they are 2 very different places. I am sad for walking away last night and I pray that even as our own ministry campus takes shape - that we remain outwardly focused on the lost and with hand written notes, words of encouragement, sips of coffee, serving a meal, meeting people that are hurting, relationships that are real, prayers being lifted together that we have the courage to stop, take a moment and listen when God whispers to us.
Be one of the ten that thank Jesus and for those handwritten notes.
Lonnie~

No comments: