Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Just a little bit....

I am thankful I didn't write on here this morning. It took a few hours of thought, prayer and making myself focus instead of just being upset and upset is not the word I want to use here.
This morning I checked the last file I needed to download for the new Kenny Chesney album that was released yesterday and I noticed in Itunes that Lil'Wayne has a new song/album out as well. Now he is popular with the youth as is many that sing like him ... reasons unknown to me, but the song title Gonerrhea caught my attention. Thinking that so many young people, kids and children as well see this on there, can easily click on it and listen to a sample as well as just go right ahead and download it. There it is, full version and sync to the ipod. Off to school on the bus and listening to this trash our childrens ears.
I am pretty upset with it all and I go to this place from time to time to ask parents to be involved in what their children are listening to, who their friends are, who they talk to online - texting included, what they are watching on TV - PUT some safe guards in the family home and into the lives of your family!!!!
Dang this upsets me. I wont even go there to post the lyrics on that song. You want another example? Kate Perry - We drove to Cali. She is very popular among the teen girls and check out those song lyrics. You wonder why our teen girls have image and acceptance problems at 12 years old. Why they are going out with boys and hitting second base?
I recently was at the movies with some of my students and during the previews - Easy A - came on. This is a pg-13 movie and has so much material in that movie that is not age appropriate for our 15 and under children - except that the fact you are ok with them being like everyone else and just hoping for the best as your daughter or son grows up with the values of society and not yours.
Our families are worth fighting for! I am just beyond words sometimes being on facebook and seeing the posts there. During Thirst Camp last summer - I promised God I would use Facebook as a tool to post encouragements, the things of Him and sharing Christ in a positive way. So far, I think I have stuck pretty close to that. I am just amazed at times - disheartened would be a better word to describe it.
But Lonnie - its just a little bit of cussing, its just a little bit of horror blood, a little bit of sex, a little bit of drugs..... I like the beat and dont listen to the words. I don't look at the pictures but read the articles. Give me a break.
Its sad when I get a note/call/email from a parent who has a son or daughter who is in a tough place. A place where this student is really hurting and they want to know what to do. My heart breaks for that family and for that student. I lived that every single day for a year with my neice living with me. There was not much I could do, my influence was not enough, my leadership was not enough, I couldn't change her direction - to have her see the hurt and pain it caused others in her foolish decisions. It was a tiring year, a year that MANY times I wanted to throw it all in, jump ship, bail out but couldn't. Most of these issues, problems, way of thinking, values - all started with "Just a little bit".
As you venture further and further away from God and you find yourself WAYYY over here and far from God in a hurting place and with nobody around you..... we wonder how did this happen?
That walk away often times starts with the "Just a little bits". We take small steps away, we make a not so good decision and keep making them because (you didnt get caught, your will is stronger than your parents, you want to do things your way etc.)
Its sad at times thinking the next generation will be leading when so many we are losing. Nothing is going to change if we just sit back and let things happen.

Just a little bit...... changes everything. The greatest influences to the next generation are: friends, music and the tv/movies/internet/texting that they are engaging in.
As a parent, you must have a say in those things that are allowed. Your faith and value systems are at stake. Your children are at stake and for many - their eternity is at stake.

If you are not Glorifying God in all that you do ... then you are glorifying something or someone else.
It all happens, Just a little bit.... at a time. Which direction are you going?

No comments: