Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Holy cactus batman. Its hot outside. I just came in from a 2 miles walk over lunch. On days that I am preaching and on stage - I am a little on edge most times and I tend to think too much. So a little physical activity to clear my mind, to pause and just be still long enough to thank God for all he is given me and all he is doing in and through me.
Last night I got a call from a student that wanted to talk through some things. I love when "mykids" give me a heads up, want to get a coffee - and hey I had to run some errands to get some things for tonight - so why not? Come along for the ride, lets talk through some things, I promise to listen and put my heart behind whatever advise or instruction I have.
Most times, after the big conversation - we both feel better, there is light on the situation, we are reminded of Gods grace through the situation and we are more than likely - moving forward.
I love those ministry moments.
I have been working with Student ministry now for 2 1/2 years now and the last 6 months with me being the lead person. I think in many ways with my age, the passion I have for these students, the love I have for them to know Jesus, my place and walk in life with life experiences and knowing what God has done for me in my life... I think it has set me up pretty well to have some kind of impact on these students, their families and our friendship in such a way as I like to think about it, a life coach. For some, a step dad but for most - a life coach.
If you think about all good coaches, they train, they direct, they encourage and keep the vision on the big picture. No matter if its a game of football or baseball, wresting or cheerleading - or even following Jesus.
There is coaching in there somewhere.
Jesus spent his life not behind a desk, not in a classroom, not standing behind a podium teaching and waving his arms with powerpoint slides. His classroom and his audience was everywhere. Where ever he went he took his classroom with him. His life was his teaching, his actions were displayed as examples, his words encouraged and his life represented lessons to live by.
Gosh that good somebody better be saying AMEN!
I think about the trip coming up to Jamaica - I think about that trip as our missionary classroom. Our faith being excersized so we can come back and teach, preach, be examples and encourage others in our faith journeys.
I think about the new student tonight who has been coming to Flood on Wed even though mom and dad have to make sacrifices to take her. They have to up the level of trust of dropping her off and leaving her with their new churhc family and trust she will be okay. I think about her professing her faith in Jesus and taking a picture of her holding her cross necklace and telling everyone she has given her heart to Jesus and with a thank you note underneath. I cannot continue to stand in front of her speaking - I have to show her those next important steps. We cant do them alone. We will fall and our old ways will creep back in. For some, that has happened and maybe because and through this mission trip to Jamaica - it has already got me thinking beyond the hearts I will touch there. I will be thinking of the heart that has changed in me.
We need to pull this student in, love them the way Christ loves them and show them how to read the Bible. Let me pour out the things I have learned. Let me show you how to serve people by serving a meal, by forgiving those who have hurt you, lets talk through some difficult situations, lets point and hold each other accountable in Christ. You are the classroom .... life is the classroom.... situations are the classroom. Pray for patience and God will send you something to be patient over. Pray for guidance and God will put a curveball in your life so you seek his guidance. Pray for playing it safe in your walk with him and you may fall away. We have to continue to spead our wings, stretch our faith and excersize what we are living for.
Far too often we just want to tell people what to do. Using words to point people, direct people, guide people - far too often we dont take the time, and I have learned this in Student ministry over the years, people dont need another person telling them what do to ...they need people to show them.
Teens are screaming - SHOW ME. Show them how to read the bible, how to serve people, how to love God and follow God with all your heart.
I may not have the 4 year seminary degree, I may have only been following Christ with all I have being 100% committed since 2005 but I am doing and living what God has called me and made me to be. That is more important than anything else.
We need teachers, football coaches, librarians, police officers, doctors and yes even lawyers honoring Gods word in their professions. We also need students living out their faith in their families, in their schools, in their churches as sports teams and even while cruising the malls with their friends.
Collosians 3:23-24 - Whatever you do, work at it with all yoru heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. SInce you know that you will receive ani nheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Every person has a mission. Imagine it, Paul blinded from heaven by a light. Men falling to the ground all around him. The voice of God speaks and calls him to a mission that will change the world forever. So this may not happen in your life this way but Paul didnt expect this radical change either. Just on a road trip to oppose the Christian movement and he returns the biggest spokesman for it. Though dramatic - your calling may not be as such but it is just as powerful. Its life changing.

What are the opportunities you are ignoring today? Serving God or serving people what would people say about you?
Realize your mission and call from God doesnt mean you need to be a pastor or undertake a full time missionary job or other Christian profession, it just means you understand what your calling means by following God's will in your daily life and in your world in which you live in.

Lonnie

No comments: